Talking Pictures: Preparation and Shooting Techniques for Interviewing
Duration: 4 days
Times: 10am - 6pm
Capacity: Max. 6-8 participants
Are you a self-shooter or factual director? Are you moving into docs from another medium?
Do you need to learn how to self-shoot interviews? Do you need more confidence when interviewing? Do you want to create great rapport?
Do you need new ways of shooting interviews? Do you want to learn how to use lighting quickly and stylishly?
This practical 4-day workshop is the ultimate guide to shooting interviews. Award-winning filmmaker Zillah Bowes will help you prepare, shoot and interview with style and confidence!
The course is based around a series of enjoyable exercises at The London Film School and in the local area in Covent Garden.
You will learn how to:
- Interview sensitively and confidently.
- choose the right style and location for your interview.
- Light stylishly using natural light and lighting equipment.
- Self-shoot interviews and record good quality sound in a variety of situations.
You will be encouraged to stretch yourself in a collaborative, positive environment and will receive plenty of feedback on your progress.
This is an intermediate workshop open to those already with some shooting experience.
The workshop features:
- training in interview techniques
- training in a variety of interview styles
- technical training in camera, sound and lighting
- formal, sit down interviewing
- 3 point lighting
- natural lighting
- informal, handheld interviewing
- latest broadcast equipment for participants’ use
- emphasis on storytelling
- practical, exercise-based learning
- individual and immediate feedback on exercises.
Professional lighting equipment will be available for all participants as a group. Camera and sound equipment will be allocated to participants in pairs, with each kit expected to contain:
- Sony PMW-300 / PMW-200 Camera
- Sony 32GB SxS Cards
- Sennheiser EW100 G3 Radio Mic
- Sennheiser / Sony Directional Top Mic with Mic Stand
- Manfrotto 504HD Tripod
Participants are welcome to work with their own lighting, camera and sound equipment, provided it is compatible with the course requirements – please do enquire.
- Discussion and screening of interview styles
- Camera and sound: technical re-familiarisation
- Legal issues, permissions & health & safety
- Selecting locations
- Composing and shooting formal interviews on a tripod
- Recording sound in formal interviews
- Interview techniques
- 3 point lighting
- Using natural light
- Handheld camera operating
- Informal interviewing in a variety of styles
This course is also the perfect complementary course for those who have attended Zillah's 5-day workshop, Exposed! A Practical Guide to Self-Shooting Documentary.